Finding a good shampoo for your coily, kinky, curly hair can be hard. Just any shampoo wouldn’t do and it might be difficult to find one that cleanses without stripping your hair off its nutrients. It always helps to have reviews of products you wish to purchase to consider before adding them to your cart. Here, we’ve reviewed the BelleStar Natural Hair Shea Butter and Coconut Oil Detangling and Conditioning shampoo.
Disclaimer: This post is not a paid promotion or affiliated with the BelleStar Natural Hair brand. It is an independent review, done by one of the members of the MyKitchenIsCoily team. Also, bear in mind that the reviewed product was tried on medium-density, low-porosity coily hair.
- Water (products with water as their first stated ingredient are great, as they are hydrating)
- cocamidopropyl betaine (a gentle surfactant or lathering agent, which is safe for hair)
- alkyl sulfonate (an emulsifier)
- polysorbate 80 (surfactant and emulsifier considered that is considered skin-safe)
- glycol stearate (safe bodying and pearlizing agent)
- guar (mucilaginous natural ingredient that conditions and thickens hair)
- peg-1000 (polyethylene glycol; non-toxic moisture-carrier, solvent, softener and thickener)
- and then some oils – coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, vitamin e, glycerine, some fatty alcohols – cetearyl and cetyl, phenoxyethanol, and hydrolyzed wheat protein.
To heal, hydrate and restore moisture while gently cleansing and conditioning the hair to make it soft, silky, and shiny.
Here is how the BelleStar shampoo performed, considering the pros and cons of the product.
Presently, a bottle of the shampoo sells at two thousand naira (2000NGN) or thirty Ghana cedis (30GHC) on their website. For its size, content, and benefit, this is quite affordable.
The shampoo comes in a 500ml/16 fl. Oz bottle that easily lets out product with a gentle squeeze.
- Conditions and has great slip
As promised, this shampoo actually does condition the hair, leaving it soft and silky. On the low-porosity coily hair it was tried on, there was no drying effect of the least kind. Instead, it left the hair feeling soft and conditioned, and even had enough slip to make detangling possible.
- Smells good
We’re not sure what it is but the fragrance of this product, which NappilyNigerianGirl describes as a “gentle citrusy fragrance”, smells so good – so so good. And it lasts for long hours after washing.
The bottle is covered with a paper label. Whether or not you wash in the shower, you’re faced with the likelihood that the paper may wear out as you handle with wet hands. As careful as we were during the trial, for example, we found a little crease after use. It was almost unnoticeable but still a crease.
If you’re searching for a shampoo that doesn’t strip or dry out your hair but leaves it soft while cleansing, then the BelleStar shampoo is a very good option. Besides its effectiveness, its affordable price and quantity are reasons to give it a try and, perhaps, make it one of your staples.